Caroline County Bird Club invites everyone to its Big Sit!
DATE: October 11, 2014
WHERE: Tuckahoe State Park’s gazebo by the lake.
TIMES: 6:30 am – 8:00 pm
WHAT IS THE BIG SIT!
The Big Sit! is an annual bird-a-thon in that the object is to tally as many bird species as can be seen or heard within 24 hours. The difference lies in the area limitation from which you may observe. It is free and sponsored by Bird Watcher’s Digest.
RULES OF PLAY:
· We will have a 17-foot diameter (circle) marked around the gazebo.
· There will be Caroline County Bird Club members participating with a team leader.
· This is free and open to the public. The more the merrier! Bring binoculars and scopes if you have them. Bring some chairs. Bring food and drinks. Stay as long as you like!
· Passers-by are welcome!
· Observations can only be made from within our pre-determined 17-foot (diameter) circle around the gazebo.
· If a bird is seen or heard from within the circle but is too distant to identify, the circle can be left to get a closer look/listen to confirm the bird's identity. However, any new bird species seen or heard while confirming the original, can't be counted unless it's seen or heard from an "anchor" who stayed behind in our circle, or is seen by you when you return to your circle.
· The group leader will make sure sightings are within the designated area (or flew over it).
· We will keep a list and tally the number of species that we observe.
· For every species seen, the Caroline County Bird Club will donate a dollar. We ask for others to pledge as well.
· Proceeds will go to the Tuckahoe State Park’s Scales and Tales Program.
This event is co-sponsored by Tuckahoe State Park